Sunrise, FL, Accident Attorney
The steps you take or fail to take after an accident can have a big impact on your case. It is normal to be confused and shaken up after an accident. While it is quite natural to discuss what has happened, it can hurt your case, even if you were not at fault. In all of the confusion, it is easy to forget some of the most important things you should do. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, please talk to a Sunset, FL, accident attorney of Fenster & Cohen, P.A. today.
What to do After an Accident
Move your vehicle out of the flow of traffic if possible, but do not leave the scene of the accident before the authorities arrive.
- Call the police whether anyone is hurt or not. If anyone is injured, tell the dispatcher that you need an ambulance.
- Collect the names and contact information of everyone involved including other drivers, passengers, and any witnesses.
- Get the insurance information from all other drivers involved.
- Write down the make, model, color, and license plate numbers of all of the vehicles involved.
- Write down the names and badge numbers of any officers who respond to the accident.
- Take pictures of everything, including all vehicles and any damage to the vehicles, all injuries, license plate numbers, all of the people involved, skid marks, damages signs or guardrails, and anything which might be relevant such as obscured stop signs or warning signs, potholes, uneven lanes, etc.
- Contact your insurance company and report the accident.
- Write down everything you can remember about the accident as soon as possible, before your memory fades.
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if you do not seem to be hurt.
- Contact a Sunrise, FL, accident attorney.
What You Should Not Do
Do not admit fault, even if you think you may be to blame.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone except the police and keep that to a minimum.
- Do not talk to representatives from anyone else’s insurance company.
- Do not sign anything without talking to your accident attorney first.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident, please call Sunrise, FL, accident attorneys Fenster & Cohen, P.A. by calling (954) 473-1500 or toll-free at (877) 845-8989 or contact us online. The initial consultation is free of charge, and if we agree to handle your case, we will work on a contingency fee basis, which means we get paid for our services only if there is a monetary recovery of funds. In many cases, a lawsuit must be filed before an applicable expiration date, known as a statute of limitations. Please call right away to ensure that you do not waive your right to possible compensation.